Tis the season for gift-giving and desserts aplenty! Navigating the holidays can be tough when you’re gluten-free, but we’re here to help! Whether you’re hosting a family gathering or attending one, it’s important that you’re prepared with gluten free options.
Dessert is the highlight of any holiday season, and we found a unique treat that’ll dazzle your tastebuds. This Gluten Free Chocolate Pie from Meaningful Eats will have your friends and family asking for seconds. Our favorite part is the whipped cream cheese topping. Try this out for a new family favorite recipe!
P.S. If you’re struggling with gift ideas for your gluten free friends and family, find cool and delicious ideas here: store.outsidethebreadbox.com
FOR THE CRUST:
-1 ½ cups of Outside the Breadbox’s gluten-free graham cracker crumbs
-¼ cup brown sugar
-1 tablespoon gluten-free 1:1 baking flour
-4 tablespoons butter, melted and slightly cooled
FOR THE PIE FILLING:
-2 ½ cups of whole milk
-5 ounces of semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (chips or bar chocolate)
-5 large egg yolks
-¾ cup and 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
-⅓ cup cornstarch
-¼ teaspoon salt
-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
-2 tablespoons butter
FOR THE TOPPING:
-4 ounces cream cheese, softened
-3 tablespoons powdered sugar
-¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
-1 cup heavy whipping cream
-Chocolate curls for garnish (optional)
Make the crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Combine the gluten-free graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, and flour in a mixing bowl and mix well until combined. Add the melted butter and stir until fully combined and all of the crumbs are moistened.
- Press the crumbs firmly into the bottom and up the sides of a 9 x 1.5 inch pie pan. (Tip: Do the sides first!)
- Bake at 350F for 10 minutes. Remove the crust from the oven and set aside to cool completely while you make the filling.
Make the filling:
- In a medium saucepan, combine the milk and chocolate (chop the chocolate into pieces if using a chocolate bar). Heat over medium-low until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is warm.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, and salt until smooth. While whisking constantly, ladle ½ cup or so of the warm milk mixture into the bowl, whisking vigorously (this is tempering the eggs so they don’t curdle when cooked on the stovetop). Continue ladling in another one or two scoops of the milk mixture and whisk until the egg mixture is smooth.
- Pour the tempered egg mixture into the saucepan with the remaining chocolate milk mixture, whisking constantly. Cook over medium heat, continuing to whisk the entire time, until the mixture is bubbling and thick, 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the butter and vanilla. Transfer the filling to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let the filling come to room temperature, about 45 minutes to an hour.
- When both the crust and filling are cool, spread the filling evenly in the pie crust. Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours, until the filling is set.
Make the topping:
- In a large bowl, add the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Mix with an electric mixer until creamy and smooth. With the mixer running on low, slowly pour in the whipped cream. Increase the speed to medium and continue to whip until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Spread the creamy topping over the chocolate filling. Top with chocolate curls if desired. Chill the pie for another 1-2 hours before serving. Enjoy!
Follow @paulinastein on Instagram