Edie Horstman is a certified Integrative Nutrition Health Coach, blogger, and freelance writer based in Denver. On her website, she shares her passion for practical wellness, sustainable living, and delicious, wholesome food. Edie was kind enough to contribute her latest creation to our blog. This salad is packed with a variety of autumn-inspired ingredients and topped with Outside The Breadbox croutons for a nice crunch. This warm, flavorful mix of fruits, veggies, and protein is the perfect dish to usher us into fall!
- 4 cups spinach
- 1 cup cubed roasted butternut squash, warmed
- 1 cup chopped chicken breast, warmed
- 3/4 cup Outside The Breadbox gluten-free croutons
- 1/2 apple, chopped
- 2 Tbsp chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 Tbsp crumbled goat cheese
- 1 Tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 Tbsp goji berries
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp honey mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Assemble all ingredients, including preparing the chicken breast and butternut squash, chopping the apple and walnuts, etc.
- In a small sauce pan, toast chopped walnuts on low-to-medium heat (until fragrant; 2-3 minutes). Stir frequently to prevent burning.
- In a small bowl, combine all salad dressing ingredients. Whisk vigorously to combine. Set aside.
- In a large salad bowl, combine all salad ingredients, starting with the spinach. Layer on the roasted butternut squash, chopped chicken, etc.
- Pour dressing on top of salad, mix to combine, and enjoy.