Grilled Romaine is a great salad for any season. We chose it as a 4th of July side because of its simplicity and fantastic taste. The grill is hot already and it only takes a couple of minutes to cook up the lettuce once the burgers and brats are done! This vegan version turned out well, replacing the anchovies with capers and using vegan mayo and parmesan for the dressing. Our Plain Bread Crumbs add a tasty texture to this twist on a traditional Caesar salad.
- 2 hearts of Romaine lettuce
- 3/4 cup Outside The Breadbox Plain Bread Crumbs
- 2 Tbsp butter (we used @earthbalance)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper
Vegan Caesar Dressing
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise (we used @primalkichenfoods)
- 2 Tbsp capers
- 2 Tbsp shredded parmesan (we used @foragerproject)
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp Worcestershire
- pinch sea salt
- pinch pepper
- Chopped red onion
- Halved cherry tomatoes
- Shredded parmesan
- Turn grill on high and heat ’til about 500 degrees.
- While the grill is heating, add all dressing ingredients to a food processor and puree.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan.
- Stir in breadcrumbs until thoroughly combined and toast over medium-high heat, stirring. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Cut the Romaine hearts in half lengthwise, leaving the root end intact so the leaves don’t fall apart.
- Drizzle lettuce with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- When the grill has reached temperature, put the lettuce halves on the grill face-down.
- Grill for two minutes, flip, and grill for another minute.
- Remove from the grill, plate, and toppings of your choice.
- Sprinkle with Bread Crumbs, drizzle with vegan Caesar dressing and enjoy!